Web Search

Custom Search

Search Results

Friday, September 4, 2020

Scrum In Review: How Did Legion Do?

My last post was about going with Legion out of the three factions I have available, and I went into the last Scrum of 2019 in South Jersey to give them a run.



Not So Minor Complications

Legion was one of the main factions I played in MK2 and I hadn't really played or bought much for them in MK3. Most notably I didn't own what is considered the staple of competitive Legion lists in the current meta: Chosen, Rotwings, and a ton of Incubi to play Kallus1.

I did however have a friend who owned a ton of Incubi and a second unit of Grotesque Raiders that I wanted to test out and he was playing Minions, so I was able to borrow some models for the Scrum.

That all said, the lists I ended up making were largely based on over thinking the meta while I was taking a vacation and it became immediately apparent when I started the scrum that some mistakes were made in list construction:

Kallus1 - Ravens of War
- Succubus
- Ravagore
- Ravagore
- Golab
- Naga
2x Grotesque Raiders
2x Grotesque Assassins
2x Hellmouths
Forsaken
Deathstalker
Sorceress and Hellion

Fyanna 2 - Oracles of Annihilation
- Succubus
- Naga
- Scythean
- Seraph
- Neraph
- Neraph
2x Shepherds
Sorceress and Hellion
Incubus
Forsaken
Full Hex Hunters + Bayal
Throne of Everblight

Vayl1 - Primal Terrors
- Ammok
- Blight Bringer
- Raek
Warmonger War Chief
Full Warmongers + Gorag
2x Full Warspears + Chieftain
2x Hellmouths


How did I do?

I started playing again after a few months off the game at the beginning of August, the Scrum started in September and ended this week. After it all, I went 3-2, though one game was a concession so while I technically have a winning record it's not completely based on my skill.

My only wins came from using Vayl1 of all the lists, and in both games I basically stole the win - I used a Blight Bringer shot plus Vayl to get two boosted spells into their caster and in both cases I got the assassination. In the first game it was vs. Morvana1 where I was able to get boosted blast damage and two spells into her due to a slight misplay by my opponent. In my last game vs Gearheart I actually got enabled by luckily landing a crit stationary off Hoarfrost and then rolling well on my boosted damage rolls.

In both wins my army got utterly demolished on attrition the turn before, and I was able to just pull the win out.

I lost round one in a challenge to my friend who lent me the Legion models. It was Fyanna2 vs. Maelock with 4 units of Posse and two Wrastlers. I basically needed to win the dice roll to go first and try to jam him out of scenario, otherwise none of my lists had the hitting power to get through his feat turn.  I lost the roll and the game spiraled out of my control, though honestly I was on my back foot the entire game.

Second round I played into Iona + Tharn for the first time ever with Kallus. I actually was able to hold the game off a bit due to some key dice rolls going against my opponent and then I had a massive attrition swing - only to have Iona come from downtown to get some Wolf Riders and Deathwolves into her feat range who could then get onto my caster.  Really fun game even though I lost it.

Overall Thoughts

Once I started playing without having a big PT backup list, things felt kind of rough. Having a Kallus1 list with Chosen would have really helped vs. the Gators, and I felt a bit down on my lists as I looked into each matchup it became apparent I was going to be dropping a sub-optimal Vayl1 list that ended up working out due to her always having pocket assassinations. I'm sure there are decent non-Chosen/Rotwing based lists in Legion to play, I just didn't make them for this event and work needs to be done to find them.

I really enjoyed playing in the Scrum again, seeing old faces, meeting new people, and getting to push models around just made me happy in general. I'm definitely looking forward to playing in next year's Scrums when I can.

Going Forward

October to December is a very busy time of year for me and my family due to birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays - so my gaming time is going to be limited and far more casual. There's no way I'm getting out to any tournaments, though I'm hoping to get casual games in at least every other week and hopefully doing an Oblivion Campaign play through.

Later this month the Void Archon comes out which completely changes how Convergence as a faction is going to be played, and their CID is just around the corner, so I'm excited to play them again.

That said, a local player I just met for the first time during the Scrum was selling his Legion and gave me a great deal on all the key models I didn't own: Chosen, Rotwings, and Incubi, so I actually have a lot more tools to make more competitive Legion lists going forward as well. There's a lot I want to explore, and it doesn't necessarily involve just playing the near ubiquitous Kallus1 Primal Terrors list.

No comments: